Does it Pay to be Thin?
That is the million dollar question today. The Wall Street Journal recently posted a study on how employee's weight affects their salary in the work force. Ultimately, women who weigh 25 lbs less than normal receive roughly $15,000 more a year than average-weight women. In contrast, men who weigh 25 lbs less than average earn roughly $8,000 less than average-weight men.
This study shocked me. I always knew that it was important to stay in shape and have always been aware of my appearance. I like to be put together and I feel like I am going to be very successful in my post graduate work. However, I do not consider myself to weigh 25 lbs less than the normal woman.
When I think of women who weigh 25 lbs less than normal, I picture underweight celebrities such as Nicole Richie or Mary-Kate Olsen. I do not want to look like these women. I have the skills necessary to succeed in the work force and I am excited about what skills I have to bring to my future employer.
This article was very disheartening. It just feeds the fire of what I am researching for my crisis paper. Women will go to any length to have the perfect appearance. Adding the motivation of a higher paying job makes this obsession worse. Maybe I will have to use some of this information in my paper.
For the full story:
http://blogs.wsj.com/juggle/2010/10/06/for-women-it-pays-to-be-very-thin/?mod=wsj_share_twitter
When I think of women who weigh 25 lbs less than normal, I picture underweight celebrities such as Nicole Richie or Mary-Kate Olsen. I do not want to look like these women. I have the skills necessary to succeed in the work force and I am excited about what skills I have to bring to my future employer.
This article was very disheartening. It just feeds the fire of what I am researching for my crisis paper. Women will go to any length to have the perfect appearance. Adding the motivation of a higher paying job makes this obsession worse. Maybe I will have to use some of this information in my paper.
For the full story:
http://blogs.wsj.com/juggle/2010/10/06/for-women-it-pays-to-be-very-thin/?mod=wsj_share_twitter
very interesting!
ReplyDelete